The Flamingo District in Everglades National Park is a popular destination for park visitors to enjoy boat tours, kayak, camp, canoe and look for manatees, also known as “sea cows.” There are a few of these friendly fellow who enjoy passing time in the Flamingo Marina!
Species profile: West Indian Manatee
- Listed as endangered in 1967
- Diet: seagrass and other aquatic plants
- Population in Florida: about 1,900 individuals
- Everglades National Park tags and tracks the population through aerial surveys.
- About 175 adults observed in Everglades National Park in 2005.